Micromax has launched its new smartphone the Canvas 4 in New Delhi . Rahul Sharma the co-founder of Micromax, said that the Canvas 4 was the ’Smartphone to end all smartphones’, but warned that it would not be affordable. The price of the smartphone is Rs 17,999. The phone will be available in stores this weekend.
The Canvas 4 has a gesture user interface. ”Just blow a kiss and the phone will unlock”, Rahul Sharma told Chitrangada Singh who was also present at the launch.
The features of the smartphone include:
• 5-inch screen with 720 pixel resolution. Sadly Micromax has not gone for the full HD screen it seems.
• It has a 1.2 ghz quad-core processor. The processor chip is MediaTek’s 6589.
• The phone comes with 1GB RAM, runs Android 4.2.1 Jelly bean and has 16 GB internal memory, expandable to 32GBvia microSD card
• The battery is 2000 mAh and according to the company website has 220 hours standby time and 8 hours talk time. However Rahul Sharma, co-founder of Micromax said that the battery will last 2 days with moderate use and one day very heavy use.
• Dual-SIM smartphone which is available in white and black colours.
• Has a 13 megapixel rear camera and 5 megapixel front camera. The burst mode of the Canvas 4 can shoot 99 pictures in 15 seconds and do vertical panorama shots. Camera has optical image stabilisation, HDR, effects and filters, and can record 1080p videos. Video pinning feature similar to the Samsung Galaxy S4 which users can pin a video the homescreen and continue watching it while carrying out other tasks such as messaging, etc. Also has the simultaneous video view feature allows you to see more than one video at a time
• The memory is expandable to 32GB although Micromax has not specified the internal memory for the smartphone.
• Canvas 4 will get firmware updates Over The Air (OTA).
The initial response seems to be that the phone is a little under-powered in terms of specifications. Micromax has not specified the sensors for this smartphone as well.